I stumbled in on a rampage at the Concordia campus called VBS. Oh my gosh... it was nuts! But, when I asked where MOPS was meeting, a very nice lady Michelle (you may know her from the 2 yr old classroom on Fridays) told me that they didn't meet for the summer, but was pretty sure the playground was where everyone hung out on Fridays instead. She gave me her number, and directed me to call the registration person, as well. I was quickly registered for the fall, and planned on showing up on Fridays at the playground.
I showed up that hot afternoon, and didn't know a soul. I chatted here and there, gave my phone number out, and to my surprise, someone ACTUALLY called ME. They were interested in a "playdate". I had no idea what that was, but whatever, it sounded good. We got our kids together, talked and got to know each other. I had my first San Antonio friend.
The first year in MOPS, I enjoyed being a spectator. I came and went rather sporadically, enjoyed conversation with my table members, and loved having breakfast and some time away from my three preschoolers. I volunteered for the simple reason of wanting to be a part of something great. I helped out with small tasks and learned how to serve other women, when I was so accustomed to being on the desperate side of needing support.
A Steering member noticed my zeal for this ministry and offered me a spot on the steering team. I was looking for a deeper relationship with women in the group, and sharing ministry opportunities would be a perfect way to get to know people more. My first job was full of strange responsibilities, and I can't say I figured it out perfectly, but the year was successful. More importantly, I found a group of friends that I will carry with me for life.
The second year on steering, I stayed for friendships, yet again. The third year, well, because they needed someone to start something totally new, and I was most qualified (the Yahoo site). And now, as my youngest inches toward 5, I wonder what MOPS holds for me in the future.
What MOPS has that keeps me coming back are people who care about me. People who know my name, my circumstances, my prayer requests, and how fast my kids are growing. I get to share a life that would otherwise be isolated.
To wrap it up, without MOPS, and without the steering team, I would be lost and alone. This group brought me friends whom I will cherish forever. If I could encourage anyone who feels the least bit like I did, take the leap of faith, try a new ministry opportunity. Because in that ministry, I think I was the recipient far more than any other mom that I served in MOPS.
*If you have a story to share about what makes you keep coming back to MOPS, email me:
elizabeth_burnham@yahoo.com
No comments:
Post a Comment