Monday, December 22, 2008

Merry Christmas!



Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all you mommies!
Our vacation has started, officially. With two kids in elementary school and another in preschool, it is a blast to the finish of the semester. Parties in each class, school performances for each grade, teacher gifts, book exchanges. Ahhh it was crazy. But with school aged kids comes that wonderful thing- winter break.
I still had to work today, so my husband was home with the kids. The kids were still sleeping when I left the house at 7:45 this morning. That was the first awesome gift of Christmas- no lunches to pack! After a busy day at work, I get home to see that all three of my kids are still in their pajamas from the night before- it was nearly 4:00! My husband watched tv all day with them. They ate Ramen (yuck), made about 40 crafts a piece, and didn't do a thing. What an awesome day to be a kid. Those were the days! The second gift of Christmas was realizing that these kids were truly happy. Staying home on a cold day and letting loose with no rules was fuel for their soul.
After watching Camp Rock for the first time the night before, it ignited a creative streak in all of them to host a concert. My oldest daughter manufactured a microphone out of paper, and my 5 year old son brought down an empty bucket for a drum set. My littlest, the just-turned four year old, got the jingle bell stick. They proceeded to belt out their Christmas performances without hesitation. The week prior, I'd seen all these songs in their glory on stage. My frightened kids could barely open their mouths. After a bad day at school, my son didn't even sing. But, this evening, they all sang Christmas carols with confidence. I could enjoy each note they sang from my front row seat on the couch and their were no other parents ooohing and aaahing over the other children.
I finally got to see the shining stars God gave me as gifts, the third gift of Christmas. The rock show continued on. They all took turns, willingly, to sing acapella the songs of their choice. We were so blessed to see the gift God gives us in our children. They are truly meant to praise him with their happiness and voices. On a cold night, singing in front of the fire was the perfect anecdote to the busy holiday season. Here's a cheesy quote from Armageddon "God gave us children so we can have roses in the winter". And another from the Bible: "God inhabits the praise of his people" Psalm 22:3.
We didn't plan for any of this to happen, but it was the best gift I've had in a while. God gave me each one of these kids as a reminder of how much he loves me. It is truly a gift that keeps on giving. Year after year, I can open this package by taking the busyness out of my life and let these kids be kids. All I have to do is unleash them in the direction of his glory, and I will be blessed. So as a reminder, one more movie quote to make sure you got the message: Buddy Elf says, "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!"
Thank you Lord for the simple things this Christmas. I pray that this entire MOPS group, and all of those who are reading this will be blessed by their family's natural joy and relish in this season. With the added stress of the season, and the challenge of the last year, remind all of us that your love never ends.

No comments: